Michael has over 20 years of litigation experience, including representing Fortune 500 companies in complex product liability and multiparty mass tort litigation. He has represented clients in real estate and other commercial litigation matters, and federal and state employment and civil rights litigation. Throughout his career, Michael has defended premises owners and manufacturers and distributors of consumer and intermediary goods and equipment, including building and construction materials and automotive parts. He has substantial experience with medical and other expert testimony and evaluation, and extensive experience with all aspects of discovery, motion practice, trial preparation, and litigation in multidistrict mass tort and other areas.
Michael founded and was Executive Director of Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF). He is experienced in state and federal civil rights litigation, including constitutional litigation before the United States Supreme Court. Michael is well-versed in nonprofit management and legal compliance issues. In addition to his work at TLDEF, Michael's nonprofit and government career included positions at New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, NARAL Pro Choice America and the New York City Commission on Human Rights.
Michael is also Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham University School of Law, where he teaches Gender, Sexuality & the Law.
- 2018 - Darger Errante Yavitz & Blau
- 2016 - Special Counsel, New York City Commission on Human Rights
- 2005 - Founder & Executive Director, Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund
- 2001 - Senior Staff Attorney, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
- 2000 - Fellow, Georgetown University Law Center
- 1998 - Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
- 1994 - Anderson Kill & Olick
- J.D., cum laude, The University of Michigan Law School
- A.B., Vassar College
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Western District of New York